What ways can you keep active, even when you don’t have a specific writing project on the go? As I dodge responsibility left and right, I ponder how to keep viable as a writer. Solution? Write a new blog post!
Writing a blog post is just one tactic though. Even if you don’t have a bigger project on the go (or are stumped with what direction to take the one you are working on at present) what else can you do?
Ways to Keep Writing
- review a book
- comment on a book review
- update your social media pages (Think Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. Add updates, refresh contact info and pictures, rewrite bio, etc)
- start a new social media account (Haven’t tried Google+? Give it a gander. New to Pinterest? Pin on! Unsure about Snapchat? Get snapping.)
- brainstorm for ideas for blog posts
- edit an existing piece of writing (yours or someone else’s)
- take a writing class
- send out queries for new article ideas
- write in a journal
- write in a different place than you normally do
- tackle a writing prompt (try writing microfiction, or write something from a photo or written prompt)
The important thing is not always what you write, but that you keep practicing your art. With time, comes comfort and ease in the process. Plus, the more you write, the better your writing will become! So get writing. I just did.