It must be spring. Writing contests seem to be sprouting up everywhere! That’s almost as good as sunshine for inspiration in my books, so I thought I would share a few that have caught my eye.
Literary magazine based out of Calgary, ON. Looking for prose, poetry, photos and art for open submissions to future magazine editions; April 30th – Fall Open Issue – Issue released in September; August 31st – Winter Open Issue – Issue released in January
- 4000 word max for prose
- creative nonfiction, short stories, postcard stories, novel excerpts, plays
- poetry; 2-5 poems, any poem cannot exceed 6 pages
- open to Canadian residents only
British women’s quarterly magazine (sorry guys—no need to apply). So many ways to submit, you’ll have to check the website for all the details. Deadline for current submissions April 13th.
- pay for accepted submissions
- poetry (4 lines/40 words), a week of tweets (7/140 characters), rants & raves (80 words), pen portrait (200 words – headteacher is current prompt), monologue (200 words – voice of a zombie is current prompt), guest blogger (check website)
A Canadian literary magazine, based in Vancouver, BC is looking for submissions. Deadline for Summer/Fall general issue is May 15, 2015. The theme for the Winter issue is “I live in an Apartment”; deadline Sep 15, 2015.
- fiction (max 3,000 words, creative nonfiction (max 4,000 words), commentary (max 4,000 words), poetry
- pays $50 per poem, $50 per page for prose
In its 84th year, you don’t want to miss Writer’s Digest Annual Writing Competition. There are as many categories as there are prizes; Grand Prize, through to tenth place, plus honourable mentions!
- Early bird deadline May 4th, 2015; Deadline June 5th, 2015
- Entry fees: $15 poetry, $25 manuscripts for early bird; $20 poetry, $30 manuscripts
- Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious) – max 2,500 words
- Memoirs/Personal Essay – max 2,000 words
- Magazine Feature Article – max 2,000 words
- Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.) – max 4,000 words
- Mainstream/Literary Short Story – 4,000 words
- Rhyming Poetry – 32 lines max
- Non-rhyming Poetry – 32 lines max
- Stage Play – send first 15 pages
- Television/Movie Script – send first 15 pages
- Children’s/Young Adult Fiction – max 2,000 words